[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Fri Oct 3 12:26:20 EDT 2003

Hi all,

While I personally think Jack's approach is the best from a
functionality point of view, I do agree with Just's position and I
think we should not be storing any Python executable code into the
plist files, version checking or otherwise. Doing things like running
setup.py should take place within package manager, using the plist
files to determine where said file is, etc.
I think this is bad from a security perspective and like wxPython we've
seen that module conflicts could occur.

I think the solution to both Just and Jack's problems is to have a
standard way in Python to store a version number that is NOT inside a
Python code file. PKG-INFO springs to mind. Now, it doesn't solve our
immediate problem re: dependencies but remember, we're designing
software that is not even known by most of the Python community at this
point. Once it is better known (I agree with Jack about the PEP), and
people know that writing a simple PKG-INFO file and placing it in the
root of their module will cause it to work well with PackageManager,
they will start doing this. It also means we can take advantage of
PKG-INFO even when PM didn't install the package.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Kevin