[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Oct 3 13:02:40 EDT 2003

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

> On Friday, Oct 3, 2003, at 12:04 America/New_York, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> There are ghastly legal issues that obstruct crypto support (there
>> have been threads on python-dev about this) and there's also a code
>> quality/ease of maintenence issue about pyCrypto itself (I have no
>> idea about it in this regard).
>
> According to the homepage:
> With the relaxing of US export controls for encryption software, it's
> now possible to distribute cryptographic source code and export it
> from the US, so now anyone in the world can download the Python
> Cryptography Toolkit.

OK, so that means it's legal for the authors of pyCrypto to "export"
the software from the US -- that doesn't have a lot to do with whether
it's legal for the person on the other end to use the software.

> What are the remaining legal issues?  Can you point me to any
> semi-recent threads?  I thought that since the laws were eased up in
> the US it was pretty safe to throw around cryptography software.

That only changed the situation in the US (and given where
www.python.org *is* and how Python is developed... well, I don't
understand it all).

Here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-April/034957.html

Marc-Andre Lemburg's posts are the depressing ones.

> Note that the intended use for PackMan isn't cryptography per se, it's
> cryptographic authentication.  The documents themselves won't be
> encrypted, but will be signed cryptographically for authentication
> purposes only.

This *might* make a difference (but only if pyCrypto can be sliced up
so that you can distribute a portion that can only do authentication).

Given that RSA is easily (if not efficiently) implementable in Python,
I share your probably opinion that this is all a pile of poo -- but I
didn't write the world's laws.

> As for code quality / ease of maintenance, a cursory glance of the
> source code makes me think that it looks clean, commented where it
> matters, and it's got unit tests that are less than trivial.
[snippety]

This doesn't seem to be a problem, then.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Just put the user directories on a 486 with deadrat7.1 and turn the
  Octane into the afforementioned beer fridge and keep it in your