[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Fri Oct 3 13:44:42 EDT 2003

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> I think Jack is thinking too much about source package installs,
> while you and I are focused on binary package installs?  The binary
> ones are the real win of PackMan, and the source package installs
> would be icing on the cake, mostly.

Yes. I'd even go so far as to not support source installs at all...

Who needs source installs? I think it's only people who (for example)
have their own private extension modules that extend Numeric. That
should be a _very_ small group of people, and a rather savvy group at
that: they might as well install Numeric without PackMan.

Here's an issue that I'm not totally clear about: there are packages
that need external frameworks, I think wxPython and Tcl/Tk are the main
examples here. Are these special cases, or does PackMan need to
_generally_ support installing external libraries? If the latter, what
kind of consequences does that have for cross-platform support? Is that
a reasonable goal/requirement at all?

Just