[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Oct 3 18:23:29 EDT 2003

Of the 44(!) message PackMan waiting for me I've marked quite a few,
and I'll get to replying to them at some time. But this one I'll reply
to now, because it's important:

On 3-okt-03, at 22:23, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> BTW. here is a PEP that is immediately relevant to our (other)
>> discussion:
>>
>>   http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0262.html
>
> Excellent!  I just scanned it.  It covers all of our receipt needs and
> would alleviate us from doing unsafe version checking.  Unfortunately
> the patch to distutils was never finished and it seems that it's been
> idle for a year.

Fully agreed. I'd never heard of this PEP (even though I try to scan
them occasionally), but it reconciles the points Just and I are opposed
on. At least, it seems to do so at first glance, and it's still a
draft, so we can get it into shape.

All the more reason to start writing that PEP, and get more people in
this discussion. I'm going to be very busy this week, trying to make an
October 1 deadline (I love deadlines, I love the "whooooossshhh"ing
sound they make when the pass, to misquote Douglas Adams), but I
promise I'm going to put some time into it in the near future.

I have a set of goals (and, more important, non-goals) in my head, and
while I think I've mentioned all of them at some point I should try and
present them in a more formal way to help shape the discussion.
Goldman