[Pythonmac-SIG] Starting a PEP for PIMP

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Sat Oct 4 03:08:37 EDT 2003

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> PEP-262 is the holy grail for PIMP, it allows us to develop a sane way
> to do package management, especially uninstallation.

(I thought it was the general consensus that "pimp" as a name was
deprecated, and that "Package Manager" was the new name, PackMan for
short. Or do you consider pimp something different from PackMan?)

> For our platform, PEP-262 has one inherent deficiency: INSTALLDB (the
> location for receipts) is a fixed location and not a search path.  I
> propose that we leverage sys.path in our quest to locate the
> installation receipt database, that way we can find
> /System/Library/...
> /Library/... /Network/Library/... ~/Library/... or whatever is
> appropriate for that particular installation of Python.  The
> installation database could have a file name that would be
> unacceptable as a python package name, such as INSTALL-DB, this way
> it could not possibly be confused with an actual package.

Hm, having a search path for the database suggests that there can be
more than one. Is that your intention?

Just