[Pythonmac-SIG] osascript question

Nate Drake ndrake at polya.net
Sat Oct 4 11:01:32 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm new to Python and really new to Applescript.  Could someone explain
while the following script works ok from the command-line but not when run
as a CGI?

#!/usr/local/bin/python

import os

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n"

applescript = 'osascript -e \"do shell script \\\"echo This is a shell
script\\\" \"'
#print applescript

the_command = os.popen(applescript)

print "Output of 'do shell script'<p/>"
for line in the_command.readlines():
	print("Line: " + line)
print "End of output"

When it is run on the command-line the output of the "osascript" command
is printed in the for loop ok.  When run as a CGI only the print
statements right before and right after the for loop print.

Does it have something to do with the fact that do shell script starts a
new sh process?

Is there a way to get something like this to work?  In the long run I'm
looking to use osascript and do shell script to get itunes track data in
my python CGI.  I tried using PythonIDE's "Generate OSA Suite..." command
on iTunes but I get this:

ASKING FOR aete DICTIONARY IN '/Applications/iTunes.app'
Launched /Applications/iTunes.app
Unpack returned empty value: []

So, that is why I'm not using the Python OSA stuff.

Thanks a lot!

Nate