[Pythonmac-SIG] osascript question

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Oct 5 15:48:55 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Oct 5, 2003, at 15:12 America/New_York, Martina Oefelein
wrote:

> Hi Nate,
>
>> I'm new to Python and really new to Applescript.  Could someone
>> explain
>> while the following script works ok from the command-line but not
>> when run
>> as a CGI?
>> the_command = os.popen(applescript)
>
> the cgi runs under the user account of the web server, which probably
> doesn't have access to user-interface stuff (not to speak of
> iTunes.app running in your account).
>
> BTW, You might want to use popen3 to read stderr, in order to read
> possible error messages.

What you should do is write a daemon (either via unix sockets or TCP)
that runs under the user account and is a gateway between your CGI and
iTunes.

>> ASKING FOR aete DICTIONARY IN '/Applications/iTunes.app'
>> Launched /Applications/iTunes.app
>> Unpack returned empty value: []
>
> you might try Bob's aeve module instead. Also search in the archives
> of this mailing lists for tips regarding iTunes.

Feel free to ask me questions about it or tell me if it breaks, I'll
help you or fix it.