[Pythonmac-SIG] Do I need to check array type code for byteswap()?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Oct 8 17:14:52 EDT 2003

On 8-okt-03, at 21:16, Bob Swerdlow wrote:
> In the documentation at
> http://python.org/doc/current/lib/module-array.html,
> it states that byteswap is only supported for "values which are 1, 2,
> 4, or
> 8 bytes in size," yet all of the types listed in the table at the top
> of the
> page ARE one of those sizes.  Is this a "future compatibility" issue or
> something?  Do I need to check that the type code is one of those
> listed or
> can I assume that byteswap() is going to work since all of the types
> are
> permitted?

Post a bug report about this: the documentation should be clearer. If
it would
say "if you try to byteswap() on unsupported values you'll get an
exception"
you know that you don't have to worry.

And practically: I wouldn't worry about it. As the typecode is stored
with the
array I can't imagine an implementation that would break things on
byteswap()
without telling you anything.
Goldman