[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 9 16:11:35 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 15:57 America/New_York, Glenn Andreas
wrote:

>>> Can we use GnuPG?  It provides an interface for being run as a
>>> subprocess
>>> and reporting results back in a form usable for programs.  Perhaps
>>> it could
>>> just require that GnuPG is available (via Fink or some other
>>> mechanism).
>>
>> I think it would be a lot easier on the users if we could just let
>> them install a particular Python package that can do the signature
>> verification.  Is there anything in OpenSSL that could be exploited
>> for this purpose?
>
> According to http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/DSA_sign.html it sure
> looks that way.
>
> Now if this is directly usable, that's another question...

PyOpenSSL documentation (probably does it):
http://pyopenssl.sourceforge.net/pyOpenSSL.txt
(3.1.3 - X509Req objects)
sign(pkey, digest)
           Sign the certificate, using the key pkey and the message
digest
           algorithm identified by the string digest.
verify(pkey)
           Verify a certificate request using the public key pkey.

M2Crypto has an example implementation of S/MIME as a HOWTO on its page
(sign, encrypt, decrypt, verify)!
http://sandbox.rulemaker.net/ngps/m2/howto.smime.html

It looks like doing this w/ M2Crypto would likely be more
straightforward, but it's probably possible in either.  It's
*definitely* possible to verify a SSL certificate with either :)