[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 9 23:45:02 EDT 2003

On Oct 9, 2003, at 20:34, John W. Baxter wrote:

> On 10/9/2003 13:24, "Ronald Oussoren" <oussoren at cistron.nl> wrote:
>

>> On 9 okt 2003, at 21:43, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>>   I think we could get away with including M2Crypto or PyOpenSSL with
>>> (Mac)Python 2.4 since OS X comes with OpenSSL.  Actually, since OS X
>>> is probably only salable in countries where OpenSSL is allowed, I
>>> don't see how distributing any cryptography libraries with the OS X
>>> version would be a legal problem.
>>
>> We could also use the commandline openssl interface (/usr/bin/openssl)
>> to avoid including crypto code with Python.
>>

> This message reminded me...are we assuming installation of the "BSD
> subsystem" when the user installed Mac OS X?  Sub question: is OpenSSL
> in
> the basic installation or in that optional part that should [almost]
> never
> be omitted?

I think if anyone omits the BSD layer they're just asking for serious
trouble.  I don't care about these people, personally.  In any case,
I'm relatively sure that CoreFoundation uses OpenSSL so I think that
it's safe.

> Of course, if Python is in the optional area, then we're assuming its
> installation.

If OpenSSL is in the optional layer then so is Python.  I think that's
pretty much a given.

> Further:  don't answer (since you can't yet) but does Panther retain
> this
> distinction?

I don't recall seeing a BSD option when I might've installed Panther
because I might have an ADC membership.  I might try again though to
make sure.