[Pythonmac-SIG] NSTableView and NSOutlineView backgrounds

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Oct 15 06:33:10 EDT 2003

Drew McCormack:

>> I've been thinking about it. And the nice thing is that "[" cannot
>> currently
>> occur as the start symbol for an expression, and I think a NAME after
>> an
>> expression is also safe, so adding rules like
>> 	atom: '[' test methodarg* ']'
>> 	methodarg: NAME ':' test
>> should work...
>>
>> But getting Guido to incorporate this into the language is a
>> different story:-)
> Sure, I don't expect the whole python world to switch to smalltalk
> method naming just because I like it ;-) It would be fun to see
> though, if not practical.

Whether ObjC brackets or C++/Python dot notation, there is no
reason except taste to favour one over the other... Yes, maybe
the more general method arguments in the former. If the Python
GOAT had felt like it, we might have some syntax today like:

   one = Number(initWithInt:1)
   result = one(add:five andBeepWhenDone)

while keeping comma-seperated args for functions, but anyway.
Obviously we don't... The power is not in the square brackets,
but in the method names, which is also why ST has only five
keywords, or so.

Maybe porting Trade Strategist to Python would be an inter-
esting experience for you? ;-) BTW, www.trade-strategist.com
is down...

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but