[Pythonmac-SIG] tkinter on aqua? // pyhtonlauncher useful?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Oct 15 09:17:02 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 05:04 AM, helloleo wrote:

> hi there
>
> i'm new to the list and new to macpython.
>
> two things  i don't understand:
> - downloaded macpython and tried one of the tkinter demo. the don't
> work. do
> i have to download tkinter seperatly? does tkinter runs under aqua?

Yes. But the good news is you can download it through the
PackageManager.
And while it (the Package Manager) can't download and install AquaTk
for you
(which you also need) it does know that it's missing and point you to
the
correct website.

> - on my mac are three python binaries in different locations. which one
> should i bind to pythonlauncher? is pythonlauncher a useful utility?

/usr/local/bin/python is a symlink to
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python,
and these are the normal Python interpreter that comes with MacPython.
pythonw is
a script that runs a slightly different interpreter from that
framework, and
this is needed to run scripts that use GUI stuff, but it can also be
used for
running normal scripts.

/usr/bin/python is a different beast: this is the python 2.2 that Apple
includes
with 10.2.

And PythonLauncher does one thing only: it allows you to double-click
Python scripts
in the Finder. If you never do that that forget about PythonLauncher.
Goldman