[Pythonmac-SIG] Objective C and Cocoa

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Wed Oct 15 14:59:53 EDT 2003

On 15 okt 2003, at 20:36, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003, at 14:20 America/New_York, Daniel Lord
> wrote:

[rant about not using Cocoa and other platform-dependend libaries
removed]

> GNUStep makes your rant pretty worthless.  The are outstanding issues
> though:
> 	PyObjC doesn't support GNUStep yet (needs a volunteer or some of
> Ronald's time)

I'm getting closer, at the moment more of the tests pass but I've
broken some of the code because the unittests no longer pass on OSX
(hurray for unittests!). The good news is that the different
compiler-environment already helped me find some errors in the
error-handling code.

> 	Cocoa nib files are not directly portable to GNUStep (and vice versa,
> I guess, I think there's go-between tools though)		- Renaissance which
> lets you do interfaces in XML and works on both GNUStep and Cocoa (I
> have used it, it works), but you can't use Apple's nice tool
> 	GNUStep isn't so hot on win32 yet

There's also a GNUstep tool to convert NIB files to gmodel files.

> Honestly, I don't care if it's a closed source single platform
> framework.  What I care about is getting stuff done as elegantly and
> effortlessly as possible on the platform of my choice.  Kludge sucks.
> But in any case, there's GNUStep, so in theory in the near future (as
> near as we, the open source community, make it) all this stuff would
> work on Linux and (with some work on the win32 port of GNUStep) win32.

I don't care too much about having GNUstep available for when I'd like
to move to Linux. AFAIK the GNUstep folks want to recreate NeXTstep,
without much integration in the dominant desktop environments.

GUI programs should contain of a portable core and a platform dependent
GUI layer on top of that, this makes it a lot easier to make the
look&feel just right for a given platform. wxWindows and other
x-platform toolkits get close, but it is often noticeable that a GUI
was developed on a foreign platform.

Ronald