[Pythonmac-SIG] What's MacPython missing?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Oct 16 07:40:20 EDT 2003

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

> I'm interested to know what people here would like to see for MacPython.
> 	Which modules from other platforms would you really like to see?
> 	Which Apple APIs/Frameworks would you like to use but aren't
> 	wrapped or aren't wrapped satisfactorily?
> 	What documentation do you think needs to be written/improved
> 	(specifically)?
>
> These are a few of the things I'm interested in:
[...]
> 	An optimized PPC backend for Psyco (I'm kind of working on
> 	this on and off.. at the PPC ASM compiler/decompiler stage)

Hey, me too!  Armin was of the opinion that this would be seriously
hard (i.e. about as hard as writing psyco for x86 was) until psyco is
ready to become part of PyPy, though.

[...]
> 	A smarter version of bgen or something bgen-like that was more
> 	generic about the kind of C it could understand, and more
> 	modern about the wrappers it spit out (keyword arguments, new
> 	style types with initializers, etc).  Potentially it could
> 	even preserve documentation from the original code, it would
> 	be relatively straightforward to do that with most (new?)
> 	Apple headers.  Maybe even a version that spit out ctypes
> 	wrappers instead.

Do you know anything concrete about gcc-xml?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  But maybe I've just programmed in enough different languages to
  assume that they are, in fact, different.