[Pythonmac-SIG] Kim Komando Show Electronic Newsletter -- October 18, 2003

The Kim Komando Show Electronic Newsletter kimnewsreply at lyris.komando.com
Sat Oct 18 08:00:00 EDT 2003

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Issue Date: Oct. 18, 2003
Vol. 7, No. 42
Kim Komando Show Home Page: http://www.komando.com

Hang on! Another fast-reading no-holds-barred issue of The Kim Komando
Show Newsletter has made its way through the gateways of the Internet.
Now serving over 1,000,000 weekly by e-mail and over 8,000,000 on radio
stations, I just want to say, "Thank you!"

CONTENTS--WHAT'S IN YOUR INBOX THIS WEEK:
 -- ON THE QT: Free medications; speed tests & a funny Web site
 -- DIGITAL DIGRESSION: Fun and fast tips that work for you
 -- MY COLUMN: Limiting time spent using a computer
 -- COOL SITES: Real reality, kid-friendly portal and more!
 -- SHAREWARE PICK: A fun game
 -- SECURE COMPUTING: More patches for Windows
 -- MY KILLER TIP: Freebies for Outlook & Internet Explorer

     \o/  HEAR ME IN ALL 50 STATES THIS WEEKEND  \o/
On this weekend's show: snooping on the kid's computer use; tips
to stop spam; how to make sure digital memories last a long time;
the latest computer news & all your calls! What a show!

--> JOIN ME on the air during the LIVE broadcast of the show!
    That's Saturdays, 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Pacific Time.
    Just call toll-free, 1-888-825-5254

--> FIND ME near you! Use the handy dandy map on my site:
    http://www.komando.com/findkimonair.asp

THE FIRST VCR WAS MADE IN 1956 & WAS THE SIZE OF A PIANO

Does your VCR still flash the time? Even if you have mastered that
technology, how about PCs and the Web?

Here's where my other two free e-mail newsletters can help!
--> * Free computer tip Mon-Fri: Send e-mail to: tips at komando.com
--> * Free cool site daily: Send e-mail to: cool at komando.com

As always, I guarantee your privacy. Your e-mail address will not
be sold or given to anyone else, ever!

Warmly,
   Kim :)

P.S. You can now sign up your friends & family to my newsletters.
Just type your address and their addresses here:
    http://www.komando.com/newsletter.asp#friends

P.P.S. In case you want to see a picture of that first VCR, go here:
    http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ampex-commercial-vtr-1956.html

ON THE QT: COOL THINGS I PASS ALONG JUST FOR YOU

--> DO YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER QUALIFY FOR FREE MEDICINE?
Most drug manufacturers sponsor what's called "Patient Assistance
Programs." These programs are intended to help those who otherwise
can't afford prescription drugs. This could include those who do not
have health insurance or seniors not covered by Medicare. If you are
approved, they say it only takes two to three weeks to get medications.
Two places to help you find patient assistance programs for which you
or a family member may qualify are:
    http://www.helpingpatients.org/
    http://freemedicineprogram.com/

--> HOW FAST (OR SLOW) IS YOUR CONNECTION?
Stop wondering. If you want a real-time readout on your Internet
connection, check with the measuring services on the Web. Here are
two places to run tests for free:
    Bandwidth Place:  http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
    Broadband Reports:  http://www.dslreports.com/stest

--> FALL IS ALMOST HERE & YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS
You have reasons for not getting a flu shot, don't you? For example,
you can get the flu from the shot, right? Wrong! The side effects
are worse than the flu, correct? Get all the flu facts and find the
location nearest you to get the shot here:
    http://www.findaflushot.com/lungusa/

--> STILL TO COME: Control time spent on a computer
   * Freebies to spell check Outlook Express & Internet Explorer
   * Play a great puzzle game
   * Dealing with presentations, start pages, & restarts

YEA! YIPPEE!! HURRAY!!! MY NEW BOOK IS HERE!
"The 50 Greatest Secrets of Digital Photography" is available!

In this book, I teach you how to do it all, including:
* Buy the right camera, take photos like a pro & share photos
* Use editing software, digitize slides & negatives,
  & preserve memories
* Manipulate images, use images in projects & print photos
* Take pictures to sell products on eBay & protect and sell images
* Pick the right scanner & use it for special projects
* Clean up backgrounds, blur, whiten teeth & much more!
* Step-by-step software instructions that make learning easy
* Actual images used in examples so you can practice
* And if you want, I will read the book to you!

ORDER MY BOOK NOW IN OUR SECURE ONLINE MALL
http://www.komando.com/kk_estore_40/details.asp?ProdID=47

WANT TO BUY IT WITH A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER?
To pay by check or money order, complete and include this form
in the envelope: http://www.komando.com/online_order_form.htm

DIGITAL DIGRESSION: Tips That Work for You!

--> WANT TO RECORD AUDIO FROM A DVD?
So you have a DVD player in your computer. It makes sense that there
should be a way to get the music off a movie disc. And once you do,
you could create a CD of that music, right?

Well, that would be wrong according to the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act. You would be breaking the DVD's copyright protection measures.
This means you would also be breaking the law. Now, there are software
programs that claim to do this sort of thing. But since it is against
the law, I will not pass along the names of them. Hopefully, one day
soon the music and movie industries will catch up with technology.

--> NEED SOME SCREEN SHOTS?
I received this question via e-mail the other day. "How can I take
pictures of what I see on the screen and put those in a Microsoft
Word document?" Easy!

Press the Print Screen (or PrtScn) key on your keyboard. This places
a copy of the entire screen on the Windows Clipboard. To capture
only the current active window, press the ALT + Print Screen keys.
To paste the image into a document, select Edit from Word's menu and
Paste. This tip works in Excel, FrontPage, Outlook, PowerPoint and
Publisher, too.

There are software programs you can buy that allow you to do more,
such as save the shots in different file formats. Before you go buy
a program, though, here are a few free ones to try:
PrintScreen -- http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/
HoverSnap -- http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

--> CAN THEY SEE YOU AND THE PRESENTATION?
You're about to make a very important PowerPoint presentation. How
do you make sure that everyone in the audience can see the slides?

Avoid busy backgrounds and use simple fonts that are sans serif.
In other words, Helvetica is more readable than Times. Follow the 8H
(eight times height) rule to be sure people sitting in back can read
the slides. The maximum viewing distance should not be more than 8
times the height of the screen. The text on the slides should be at
least 1/50th the height of the screen. Don't put too much on each
slide. The audience has come to see you, not a slide show.

--> WOW! GET A FREE COMPUTER TIP DURING THE WEEK
Become the ultimate computer user the easy and fun way! Send one
e-mail to sign up for my tip of the day: tips at komando.com

--> MORE GOODIES BELOW, SO KEEP ON READING: <--
   * Rookie Rundown--Start pages & restarts
   * Better get these Windows updates

AND NOW, A PAID ADVERTISEMENT...

--> ATTENTION EPSON PRINTER OWNERS:
   ** Chip Resetter for all Epson cartridges resets the "smart chip"
       http://colorfastink.com/product.aspx?product=Chip+Resetter

--> REFILL YOUR OWN INKJET CARTRIDGES & SAVE MONEY
   ** You get 16 refills for $36.95 -- a $300 saving!
       http://www.colorfastink.com

--> ARE YOU TOO BUSY TO REFILL YOUR OWN CARTRIDGES?
   ** Let Universal do it for you! A savings over 50%!
       http://www.colorfastink.com (click the "We refill for you" link)

--> BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY
   ** You can sell Universal products to businesses in your town.
       http://www.colorfastink.com/affiliate

MY WEEKLY COLUMN: Put Time Limits on Kid's Computer Use

Controlling how much time the kids sit in front of a box of electronics
is nothing new. With the advent of computers and the Internet,
solutions span the gamut. Selecting the right one is no simple choice.

Products like Time-Scout Monitor and TV Allowance use the tough love
approach. Both are pieces of hardware that control power to the monitor
(or TV or video game). The idea behind it is simple. Without any power,
no matter what the child does, it just will not work.

The parent decides how much time the child has and works out the
schedule with the child. Children use swipe cards to access their
time with Time-Scout, and a personal identification number with
TV Allowance.

You might think that children would resent these restrictions. But
parents say that children soon accommodate the limitation, especially
if they are given the opportunity to decide when they can use the
appliance. It gives them a sense of power.

Jenny Meacham, of Orem, Utah, said she loves Time-Scout Monitor. She
has put it on her televisions and two computers used by her children.

"The kids can earn more time (on a TV or computer)," she said. "They
can also lose time. But we use it mostly as a reward system."

Meacham said her older children initially chafed at the constraints,
but have since accepted it. Her son was spending hours at a time at
Microsoft's Gaming Zone. She said he was upset by the limits, but has
gotten past that. Time-Scout Monitor (http://www.time-scout.com) is
$89.95 direct from the company.

To use it, you plug the computer monitor, TV or video game into the
power box and set the lock. The power box is plugged into the wall
socket. A card reader is also provided. A parent uses an add-subtract
card to create the time limits.

The child also receives a card. When the child is ready to use the
appliance, he or she swipes the card through the card reader. The
appliance is turned on and the Time-Scout begins counting down the
minutes. When the child is through, a swipe turns off the appliance
and saves the child's remaining minutes.

TV Allowance works similarly. The power cord of the TV, computer
monitor or video game is plugged into TV Allowance, and the top is
closed and locked. Each child is given a four-digit PIN.

Like Time-Scout, parents and children decide together how much time
will be granted. Once schedules are worked out, the children access
their time with their PINs. TV Allowance counts down the time and turns
the appliance off when time expires. The child cannot restore power
until the next week. TV Allowance (http://www.tvallowance.com) is $99
for the first unit, and $79 for each additional one.

Software programs are also available to monitor computer usage.
PC TimeCop (http://www.familysafemedia.com, $35) includes limits
to certain programs, certain times, maximum or minimum lengths of time,
and many other restrictions.

Other programs put more emphasis on limiting Internet access.
Two such programs are CyberPatrol (http://www.cyberpatrol.com, $39)
and Cyber Sentinel (http://www.securitysoft.com, $40). Keylogging
capability is included with most programs. With this, you can see
everything a child does on the computer.

Just remember that hardware and software solutions are no substitute
for old-fashioned parenting. Give the kids rules and see that they
abide by them. If you need help coming up with the rules, use my 10
Commandments for Kids Online. It's free here:
    http://www.komando.com/kimskidscontract.html

--> A LITTLE ABOUT ME:
My weekly radio show is heard nationally by 8 million people on over
400 stations. I also do a Computer Minute each weekday, heard on more
than 285 stations. I write a weekly column that runs in more than 100
newspapers. And my Q&A column appears weekly in USA Today. I also
have a column on MSN's bCentral. You can read a bunch here:
    http://www.bcentral.com/articles/komando/default.asp

--> STILL TO COME: Get the patch from Microsoft
     * Freebies you'll really dig and play a puzzle

AND NOW, A PAID ADVERTISEMENT...

SAVE UP TO 70% ON YOUR LONG DISTANCE BILL!
http://www.SaveOnPhone.com

Tired of paying those high long distance charges? Why pay more
to major carriers when you don't have to? SaveOnPhone can help
you save hundreds of dollars each year!

SaveOnPhone objectively compares the top 10 long distance plans
with the lowest rates and no monthly fees. You'll find rates as low
as 2.9 cents per minute! For significant savings, learn more about
switching carriers today by visiting the site below:
http://www.SaveOnPhone.com

ROOKIE RUNDOWN: Tips to get you up and going!

--> A SAFE WAY TO START WINDOWS
Having trouble with Windows? If Windows won't start, sometimes you can
get in there and fix what ails you in Safe Mode. Heck, if you cannot
get ScanDisk to ever finish, running it in Safe Mode normally does the
trick. When you see the "Starting Windows" message, here are the secret
keys to press:

  F5 -- Safe mode. This allows Windows to start with its most basic
configuration, bypassing Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files and
using the VGA driver for video and not loading networking software.

  F6 -- Safe mode (like F5) but with the addition of network support.

  F8 -- Gives you a menu of different options before Startup. This is
a really good one to remember!

--> TIRED OF WAITING FOR A WEB PAGE TO APPEAR?
Waiting for a Web site to finish loading is annoying. When this
happens to you, don't get all bent out of shape. Simply press the
Esc key or click the red X on your browser's toolbar. This stops a
Web site from loading.

What if that slow Web page is your start or home page? Then change it!
I have my home page set to a blank page. This way, my browser is open
and ready for me to go where I want to fast!

Internet Explorer:
1. Select Tools and then, Internet Options.
2. On the General Tab, click the Use Blank Button and OK.

Netscape:
1. Select Edit and then Preferences/Navigator.
2. Under Navigator Starts With, select Blank Page and OK.

--> KEEP READING: One great pun at the very end <--
    * A puzzle game that's really fun
    * A list of freeware for Outlook and Internet Explorer

QT BONUS: EVEN MORE COOL THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW

--> FINALLY, A NEW AIRLINE READY TO SERVE
If you're like me, you have had more than a few bad air travel
experiences. Here's a site that seems to have it all. They offer bench
or cargo seating, claim to be on-time about 37% of the time, and make
you share a bag of peanuts with the person seated next to you. You can
tell that this type of service comes from the top. The Chairman asks
in his letter, "What is it with you people?" For more than a few
laughs, check the site out at: http://www.skyhighairlines.com/main.asp

--> IN THE COOL SITES: Calcium supplements and lavish living <--
    * And, wow! You won't want to miss the OE & IE Freebies!

AND NOW, A PAID ADVERTISEMENT...

SURFING THE WEB IS NO LONGER A PRIVATE MATTER.
Each time you go on the web, you are being tracked, making
you vulnerable to relentless spam and annoying pop-ups.
The solution: http://www.getprivatenow.com

There, you get Anonymizer Privacy Manager and as a SPECIAL BONUS,
FREE anti-spam software! It will stop spam, pop-ups and hidden
tracking with the best in online security.

My listeners receive the Anonymizer Privacy Manager and FREE
anti-spam software for just $49.95 - a savings of $60.
Go to http://www.getprivatenow.com and use my name, Kim

CALLING ALL LISTENERS! CALLING ALL LISTENERS!

Catch my Kim Komando Computer Minute each weekday and don't forget
to make an appointment to hear the big three hour show every weekend!
You'll be glad that you did!

-->TIP YOUR HAT & TUNE IN TO THESE FINE STATIONS!
     ~ Phoenix (KFYI 550 AM), Saturdays, noon
     ~ Denver (KHOW 630 AM), Sundays, 10 a.m.
     ~ Seattle (KQBZ 100.7 FM), Saturdays, 10 a.m.

--> BULLETIN! TIME CHANGE HERE!
     ~ Greenville, SC (WORD 950 AM and WYRD 1330 AM),
          Sundays, 12 p.m.

--> MY LISTENERS ARE #1
>From coast to coast I am on over 400 stations! Here are some of my
wonderful affiliates: New York City (WCBS 880 AM), Atlanta (WSB 750
AM), Boston (WRKO 680 AM), San Antonio (WOAI 1200 AM), Honolulu
(KHVH 830 AM), Tucson, AZ (KNST 790 AM), Tulsa, OK (KRMG 740 AM) and
many more, like Chicago (WLS 890 AM) and Portland, OR (KXL 750 AM)!

-->Oh where oh where has my Kimmie gone? Find me here:
    http://www.komando.com/findkimonair.asp

OUR WEEKLY SELECTION OF UNIQUE & GREAT WEB SITES

THE OFFICIAL INTERNET PICK OF THE WEEK
    (The best sites on a single subject...)
THIS WEEK-- WEB CAMS PUT THE "REAL" IN REALITY
    http://www.komando.com/kool_show.asp?showID=4340176
Reality shows are a ratings blockbuster on television. The problem
is, they've been edited, produced and tweaked to heighten the drama.
If you want a "real" reality show, turn to the Web. Web cameras let
you experience life in Paris, Tokyo and even Antarctica from the
comfort of your own home. Here are some neat Web cam sites that I
think you'll enjoy.

FREE SITE: CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT
    http://www.viactiv.com/index.jhtml
Enter your address for a free sample Viactiv Soft Calcium Chews.
U.S. residents only.

CONTEST SITE: THE BEST LIFE HAS TO OFFER
    http://bestlife.perfectprize.com/welcomenew.shtml
Answer questions found on Forbes.com to win a chance for: a week
in Paris, digital camcorder, Palm Tungsten T and more! Open to U.S.
residents, 18 and over.

KIDS SITE: JUNIOR WEB PORTAL
    http://www.lycoszone.com/
This kid safe Web portal has everything a kid would need. Play games,
find homework help, watch cartoons and more!

--> STOP WANDERING THE WEB IN SEARCH OF THE BEST
Every day of the week, I uncover sites that are helpful or just plain
fun! Subscribe by sending one e-mail to: cool at komando.com

--> STILL TO COME: My freebie picks and more!

AND NOW, A PAID ADVERTISEMENT...

ACCESS YOUR WORK OR HOME PC REMOTELY USING THE
INTERNET OR A WIRELESS DEVICE
http://www.gotomypc.com/s/kim/Q42003/news

Imagine secure, instant access to your email, programs or network
from anywhere you happen to be.

Think of the possibilities and freedom!
 -- Leave work early and seamlessly finish from home
 -- Travel anywhere in the world & have access to your PC back home

With any Internet-connected computer or wireless device, everything you
need is at your fingertips with GoToMyPC. Try it FREE today!
http://www.gotomypc.com/s/kim/Q42003/news use promo code KIM.

SHAREWARE PICK OF THE WEEK: (Smart software of all sorts)

--> THIS WEEK'S FOCUS: Fun! Play a puzzle game!

For Windows: Dweep Gold
The object of the game is to reunite Dweep, a furry purple creature,
with its babies. The only thing standing in Dweep's way is a maze
of lasers, mirrors, bombs and other hazards.

For Macs: Freddy's Forest
Help Freddy catch a butterfly. Using boulders and trees, you'll have
to put out fires, avoid collapsing bridges and build steps to reach the
butterfly net. Once you get the net, try to capture the butterfly.

--> Find my Shareware Pick for this week right here:
    http://www.komando.com/showpicks.asp

--> Still to come so you better keep reading...
THE KILLER TIP: Free files to enhance Outlook & Internet Explorer <--

SECURE COMPUTING: Stuff to keep you safe from harm!

--> GREETINGS FROM REDMOND, WASHINGTON
Microsoft released a bunch of updates this week. One fixed a hole
that could let a hacker get control of a computer that was connected
to the Internet. Another patch closed an open path in Windows Messenger
that also left a system vulnerable. But wait, there's more. Another fix
was posted that prevented a scenario where if a user clicked on the URL
hosted on a website, an attacker could have the ability to read or
launch files present on the user's machine.

The bottom-line: You need to drop by the link below and download the
patches associated with the version of Windows running on your PC.
http://microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/20031015_windows.asp

--> DON'T STOP READING NOW! THERE'S MORE BELOW!
    * There's the Killer Tip and one really bad pun

AND NOW, A PAID ADVERTISEMENT...

PREMIUM UNLIMITED INTERNET ACCESS FOR $8.25/MO
http://intergate.com/cgi-bin/refer.cgi?5546

No credit card required. Service includes 100 e-mail accounts,
100 MB of Web space, toll-free technical support, and over
40,000 newsgroups. Member of the BBB.

No setup fees, no ads or banners, and NO busy signals.
Service is also perfect when used as a broadband backup, for
those who travel, and for those who cannot get broadband yet.
Over 10,000 access numbers nationwide. Learn more now at:
http://intergate.com/cgi-bin/refer.cgi?5546

MY "KILLER TIP OF THE WEEK" IS JUST FOR YOU!

Q. Hi Kim, Every once in a while on your show you will tell someone
to get a free program that seems to pick up where Microsoft left off.
One in particular is the free spell checker for Internet Explorer. Can
you tell me where I might download that as well as some others I might
want to check out for Outlook and Internet Explorer?

A. There are a lot of nifty free programs written for Microsoft
programs. Most are free for personal use. If you use them in a
commercial enterprise, there could be a charge. Some authors ask
for a donation. If you end up keeping the program, send them $10
or $20 for their work. It's the right thing to do.

Below you will find a list of some freeware that I have found useful,
starting with the spell checker you asked about.

* IE Spell: Internet Explorer add-on that spell checks text input boxes
on a webpage: http://www.iespell.com/download.php

* GetFile: Internet Explorer add-on that allows you to find out the
size of a file before downloading it: http://www.unhsolutions.net/GFS/

* Merriam-Webster Toolbar: Becomes a part of your Internet Explorer
toolbar so you can look up words in the dictionary or thesaurus:
http://www.m-w.com/tools/toolbar/

* OE Backup: Tool to backup your address book, folders and more for
Outlook Express users: http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

* OE SpellChecker: Spell checker for Outlook Express:
http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/

* Browser Hijack Blaster: Protects any changes to your Internet
Explorer home page or search page:
http://www.wilderssecurity.net/bhblaster.html

In case you are looking for a free firewall, spyware removal tool,
anti-virus program, way to know all that is in your PC including
product keys and serial numbers, you will find a list of those on my
site here: http://www.komando.com/bestshareware.asp

Thanks for writing!
Kim :)

AND FINALLY, A LESSON FROM THE DOG

There was once a handyman who had a dog named Mace. Mace was a great
dog except he had one weird habit. He liked to eat grass, not just a
little bit, but in quantities that would make a lawnmower blush. One
day, the handyman lost his wrench in the tall grass while he was
working outside. He looked and looked, but it was nowhere to be found.
As it was getting dark, he gave up for the night and decided to look
the next morning. When he awoke, he went outside, and saw that his dog
had eaten the grass all in the area around where he had been working.
His wrench now lay in plain sight, glinting in the sun. Going out to
get his wrench, he called the dog over to him and said, "A grazing
Mace, how sweet the hound, that saved a wrench for me."

That one really hurt! See you on the radio!
Kim :)

-- Want to advertise in my e-mail newsletters or on my national radio
show? Send your product or site's details to:
rates[NO SPAM]@komando.com (Please remove [NO SPAM].
(The address above is written to avoid spam collectors.)

-- Copyright 2003, The Kim Komando Show. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express
written permission of The Kim Komando Show is prohibited and strictly
enforced. Newsletters may contain links to sites on the Internet owned
and operated by third parties. The Kim Komando Show is not responsible
for the availability of, or the content located on or through, any such
third-party site. Information in this document is provided "as is,"
without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including
but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness
for a particular purpose and freedom from infringement. The user
assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of this
document. We will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising
from the use of this information, including, but not limited to direct,
indirect, incidental, punitive, and consequential damages.

-- If you must, unsubscribe details are below. :/

You are currently subscribed to "kimsnewsletter" as:
pythonmac-sig at python.org

To unsubscribe, just send an e-mail to:
leave-kimsnewsletter-1291829U at lyris.komando.com
or enter your address (pythonmac-sig at python.org) at my online form: