[Pythonmac-SIG] scrolling behaviour in MacPython

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Oct 29 12:26:26 EST 2003

Christopher Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck at mac.com> writes:

> Normally, in python you can scroll back in the command history by
> using the up arrow key. However, when I try and scroll in MacPython
> 2.3, I get strange characters rather than the previous commands:
>  >>> ^[[A
> Any cure for this?

You need a readline module.  I thought Jack's MacPython distribution
came with one of them, though.  Are you using that or the Apple
installed Python 2.3 on Panther?

  Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them
  the usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers,
  and nobody thinks of complaining.                     -- Jeff Raskin