[Pythonmac-SIG] PackageManager wishlists, please! (was: unixy python and applescript)

Chris Lee cjl at physics.otago.ac.nz
Mon Sep 1 09:50:36 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 09:59  AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On donderdag 28 augustus 2003, at 0:07AM, Chris Lee wrote:
>> Yes but then you are asking people to download another python...  Not
>> everyone wants to have 4 versions of the same app.  At the moment I
>> use it with Fink python because Fink is the only thing that allows me
>> to install scipy, Scientific and rpy and Numpy (linked to ATLAS
>> instead of it's own libraries) right out of the box.  I don't have
>> the skills to make these things work myself so have no choice but to
>> use the Fink version.
>
> Information like this I need to make Package Manager a success: if
> there are packages
> that people want I'd love to know. Depending on a number of factors
> (how many
> people want it, is it easy, is someone willing to do the work so I
> only have to
> shove it into the database, etc) I'll add it.

You are cruising for trouble there.  Every package has someone who uses
it.  I think this is far and away the biggest problem I have with
python is that with the exception of Numpy and pil absolutely nothing
will install out of the box and there are bugger all mac ready versions
of any packages around.  I know you guys are working hard unifying the
unix and mac parts of python but I don't actually see that helping if
we still can't install all these great modules at the end of it.

> Hmm, this is the first time that I have a problem where having a Wiki
> actually
> seems like a solution: it would allow voting, and people who did the
> work before
> (or tried and failed) could annotate it, etc.

Instead of specific packages you should ask for votes for specific
areas (and ask people to specify packages in the comments section).
There are sooo many packages that you will end up with a million votes
spread over a million packages and still not know where to start.  The
other thing is that you should include a prominent link on the same
page to a work in progress section so that people can see if their pet
package is on the way.

> Should we setup a Wiki for the PM wishlist? Anyone willing to do the
> work
> (in a way that I could easily incorporate into the MacPython website)?
> --
> Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
> If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma
> Goldman

Chris Lee
Physics Department
Otago University