[Pythonmac-SIG] "no codec search functions registered"

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr
Mon Sep 8 16:46:36 EDT 2003

Hi everybody, I just subscribed to this list

I know there was a thread on this error message last year, but here the
situation is different. I use a freshly installed python2.3 from fink,
and the binary is clearly /sw/bin/python2.3 and not /usr/bin/python.

here is the exact error message I get when I try to launch TTX (a tool
for converting TrueType font into XML and back):

>bash-2.05a$ /sw/bin/python2.3 ttx.py /WINDOWS/verdana.ttx
>Compiling "/WINDOWS/verdana.ttx" to "/WINDOWS/verdana#1.ttf"...
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "ttx.py", line 278, in ?
>    main(sys.argv[1:])
>  File "ttx.py", line 260, in main
>    process(jobs, options)
>  File "ttx.py", line 245, in process
>    action(input, output, options)
>  File "ttx.py", line 169, in ttCompile
>    ttf.importXML(input)
>  File "/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/FontTools/fontTools/ttLib/
>__init__.py", line 280, in importXML
>    xmlImport.importXML(self, file, progress)
>  File "/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/FontTools/fontTools/ttLib/
>xmlImport.py", line 134, in importXML
>    p.parse()
>  File "/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/FontTools/fontTools/ttLib/
>xmlImport.py", line 24, in parse
>    self.parseFile(file)
>  File "/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/FontTools/fontTools/ttLib/
>xmlImport.py", line 44, in parseFile
>    parser.Parse(chunk, 0)
>LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding

Any idea what may be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Yannis

| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr |
| Professor                            http://omega.enstb.org/yannis |
|                                          Tel. +33 (0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                          Fax  +33 (0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Computer Science Department                                        |
| Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications de Bretagne      |
| Technopole de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3, France  |
                         ...pour distinguer l'exterieur d'un aquarium,
                                        mieux vaut n'etre pas poisson

                        ...the ball I threw while playing in the park
                                       has not yet reached the ground