[Pythonmac-SIG] Python shared libraries

Mark Easton mark.easton at blinksoftware.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 09:35:27 EDT 2003

Guys,

Following for a brief email conversation with Jack Jansen, I would like
to pose some questions to this list, although first of all let me
mention the background to my questions is as follows:

I'm in the middle of writing some material on getting .NET working on
Mac OS X and am trying to get PythonNET to run on Mac OS X, which
requires a shared version of the libpython2.3.a library.  I know
Python 2.3 allows --enable-shared to be used with ./configure, but when
I try this on Mac OSX it doesn't do squat.

I then installed the binary MacPython, expecting a framework to be
installed but can't for the life of me see where the framework was
installed to.  My first question is therefore where is the MacProlog
Framework stored?

Now, I know that to get PythonNET working with Portable .NET I need
access to the Python library through NSCreateObjectFileImageFromFile (or
possibly NSAddImage) so my second question is, can the MacProlog
framework be called using either of these mechanisms?  It's my
understanding that a framework is just a well packaged slew of files, so
assuming the MP framework contains a shared library I would guess this
might be possible.

Finally, assuming the framework is out of the picture, then can anyone
tell me how to go about building a naked shared library for Prolog?

My Apologies for such a greedy first posting,

TIA

Mark Easton

mark.easton at blinksoftware.co.uk