[Pythonmac-SIG] Blogserving with Python

Andrew Shearer ashearer at shearersoftware.com
Wed Sep 17 00:08:41 EDT 2003

I wouldn't be want to be the last person without a homegrown blogging
system in Python. So I wrote an open-source one named DirectRSS.

The unique thing about it is that it uses RSS as its native file
format. All your posts are kept in monthly RSS archive files. You can
create, edit, and delete posts with a Blogger API, b2 API, or
MetaWeblog API client.

It supports categories, but not comments. For comments, I'm looking at
adapting Mombo.

If you're using DirectRSS as a component of a larger system, you can
use XSLT to generate your HTML files. There's also a Python-based
generator that's integrated with a template system. (Right now, the
only download available on SourceForge is a bundle of DirectRSS and
ShearerSite, the template system.)

http://www.shearersoftware.com/software/web-tools/ShearerSite/

It's what I use to generate and upload static HTML files for my own
weblog:

http://www.shearersoftware.com/personal/weblog/

All the code used to generate the weblog is public (except for
NetNewsWire, the MetaWeblog API client), but I haven't documented
creating the date-based archive yet, because the way it's done isn't
particularly efficient. (I'm developing a better way starting with the
Pictures section of my site.)

--
Andrew Shearer
http://www.shearersoftware.com/