[Pythonmac-SIG] Threads and Processes

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Sep 22 11:03:07 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 04:05 PM, Patrick W. Fraley wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have written a little Server application which is cross platform
> (Windows, Mac Os (9 and X), Linux).
>
> Now I am trying to write a TKinter gui to control this application.
> Now
> my question is: is there something like popen3 on MacPython?  If not
> what would be the preffered way to start another python application
> under MacPython (preferably being able to capture STDERR).

MacPython-OSX is plain vanilla unix Python, so popen3() is available.
MacPython-OS9 has no popen3() (or fork, or execve, or any of the other
process calls), and there isn't really any way to add them, as the
concept
is alien to MacOS9.

There are all sorts of ways you could add similar functionality on
a case-by-case basis, but my first suggestion would be that you drop
OS9 compatibility, because whatever workaround you want to do it's going
to be a lot of work, for a platform that is quickly fading into
oblivion.
Goldman