[Pythonmac-SIG] Distutils and bundlebuilder

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Mon Sep 22 12:49:49 EDT 2003

On 22 sep 2003, at 11:16, Just van Rossum wrote:

> Dinu Gherman wrote:
>
>> I am discovering the possibilities of PyPI and Distutils' "register"
>> command, which one can use to add one's project to PyPI. It would be
>> rather strange to write a setup.py file only for that purpose, though.
>> Could it not also be used for actually building and installing a pro-
>> ject, making a call to bundlebuilder? The only issue I see is how to
>> provide command-line parameters for bundlebuilder to setup.py? Maybe
>> we need something like a Pythonic "configure" tool, too?
>
> Distutils and PyPI are targeted mostly towards Python
> libaries/packages,
> not applications/tools. py2exe does integrate nicely with distutils, so
> it is possible, but I'm not convinced of the usefulness. I personally
> use distutils to build and install libraries and bundlebuilder to build
> apps, and I've very rarely found those two operations overlap to the
> extent that I wished they were the same.

I have several apps with embedded extension modules, it would be nice
if those could be build using a simple buildapp script. I currently use
either a buildapp.py that also uses distutils to build the extension
module or a Makefile that calls setup.py and buildapp.py in the right
order.

Adding an simple interface to distutils to bundlebuilder would be more
usefull than making bundlebuilder a distutils plugin.

Ronald