[Pythonmac-SIG] PackageManager link broken?

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Fri Sep 26 00:55:28 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 03:53  PM, Chris Barker wrote:

<<snip>>

>> There's also an initiative to trim the libraries down so that only
>> what
>> you need is loaded, but I don't know if that will make it into
>> wxPython.
>
> I'm sure it will, but who knows when. That will be nice for bundled
> apps
> as well. Simple ones should get a lot smaller.

It shouldn't be too difficult as the hard work was done when they
pulled the libraries apart initially. In any case, by this weekend
we'll probably see what Robin has chosen to do. =)

>> It is obvious that PyObjC wins the contests for being the easiest and
>> most flexible GUI development tool for Mac,
>
> This is ironic to me...A couple years ago I thought wxPython would be
> very popular on the Mac, as it is so much easier an more complete that
> the old Mac toolbox stuff. But now we have wxPython on OS-X, and
> they've
> introduced this Cocoa thing that is even better... I'm sorry because
> I'd
> really like to see cross-platform tools used, and therefore improved,
> more on the Mac. I suppose the market reality is that if you choose to
> develop for the Mac, you probably don't develop for other platforms.

I think they're both great tools, just with different target audiences.
I don't think the market reality is that if you choose to develop for
Mac that you don't develop for other platforms. I think the market
reality is that if you want to get your organization to develop a Mac
version, it's cross-platform or nothing. For me, no wxPythonMac means
no Mac development.

The interesting part is that for people in my organization that use my
app, well, having a Mac version means moving to Mac became more
feasible. (And those using my program on the Mac are in fact
'switchers'.) If people know the same applications are available on
another platform, it will encourage them to switch. If they instead
realize they need to learn different programs, it makes them more
uncertain and less likely to switch. (Despite how 'cool' they are
supposed to be.) Just imagine how many people buy VPC for Mac just to
be sure that if they need a Windows app, they can get access to it.

>> I just think having one interface that works the same on all three
>> platforms is nice because it reduces learning curve and looks
>> consistent. It also shows that it can be done, and done well.
>
> I think it's a great idea..

At least someone does! =)

>> Lastly,
>> it also paves the way for a cross-platform IDE, a cross-platform GUI
>> builder, etc., etc.
>
> Have you tried Boa on the Mac?

No, I haven't. Truth to tell I don't use GUI builders myself, despite
my VB origins. <G> However, I think both Boa and PythonCard's GUI
builder (maybe with a "Tools" floating bar to select components) would
be useful for this toolkit.

>>  Though I feel I'm on the
>> losing side of the battle here... ;-)
>
> It's not really a battle, but I'm on your side. Unfortunatley my
> messages have been getting bounced from Python.org, I have no idea why.
> Let's see if this gets through.

It came through here. =)

> By the way, I for one, would like to help out with a wxPython Package
> Manager.

Cool! I've got a release of both my own application (EClass) and
wxMozilla gearing up for this weekend, but after that I should be able
to regroup on this project a bit. I posted a download link and
instructions on how to make it work on Windows in a previous message if
you wanted to look at that.

Thanks,

Kevin