[Pythonmac-SIG] Importing Python files into Keynote slides

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri Sep 26 08:12:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

I suppose there are some Keynote users here who want to show Python
code on their slides sometimes. If so, I've experimented with that
and have prototyped a tool which takes a Keynote presentation and
loads external Python files into a slide with syntax-highlighting
using Just's PyFontify. The import uses EmPy.

I'd like some of you to play with this before I move on. If you do,
please make backups of your presentations! There is no furthuer ex-
planation about how it all works, but a sample presentation and
this terminal transcript:

   dinu% cd emkey
   dinu% python emkey.py samples/Sample.key
   made backup
   Before reediting in Keynote, run emkey.py -r samples/Sample.key
   dinu%
   dinu% python emkey.py -r samples/Sample.key
   reverted to backup
   You can reedit 'samples/Sample.key' in Keynote now!
   dinu%

Please let me know what you think. Clearly, there is a much higher
potential for using EmPy on the Keynote XML files, but you really
need to know much more about their semantics. It would be very
interesting to know if there are any hooks in Keynote that one can
better exploit, compared to this purelly "offline" processing...?

You can get emkey (know a better name?) temporarily here:

   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/emkey.tar.gz

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"As long as people believe in absurdities, they will continue to