[Pythonmac-SIG] Difference between pythonw and python?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Apr 1 10:05:50 EST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 2:46 AM, Jens Miltner wrote:

> What exactly (at the code level) is the difference between pythonw and
> python?
> The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to get Tkinter work with an
> application that links against Python.framework and uses python as
> it's scripting language (MacCvsX).
> I do have problems with Tk not being recognized as a valid symbol name
> in the python scripts (despite the fact that those scripts do have a
> "from Tkinter import *" statement and they do work when executed from
> a shell), so I thought this might be related to the pythonw vs. python
> problem...
>
> Anybody knows what the exact difference between the two is?

You have multiple versions of Python installed.  It's highly likely
that your application and any extensions you have built are linking
against /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework (or a homedir version) but
you are running a python interpreter linked to
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework (if you are using OS X
10.3).  If that is not the exact case, then it's something very much
like that case.