[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing tkinter on Panther w/o PackageManager?

W.T. Bridgman wtbridgman at radix.net
Fri Apr 2 22:20:31 EST 2004

On Friday, April 2, 2004, at 04:26  PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2004, at 4:14 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:
>

>> On 2 Apr 2004, at 03:28, W.T. Bridgman wrote:
>>> Has anyone 'finalized' a procedure for installing tkinter without
>>> the PackageManager or Fink?  I can't find anything on the Wiki about
>>> this option.  Everyone seems to be pushing PM - not always an option
>>> for some installations.
>>
>> In the case of _tkinter (and I think readline, and possibly one or
>> two others) this is a bit of a problem, because I've built the binary
>> installers in an ad-hoc way: I built the modules from source during a
>> normal Python build and then manually stuffed them into a tarfile.
>>
>> But of course you could simply grab the tarfile and extract it in the
>> right place. I think if you're in / when you unpack the tarfile
>> everything will work fine.
>
> Make sure to grab the right one (use the jaguar database if you are
> installing for a /Library/Frameworks python, and the panther database
> for /System/Library/Frameworks) because otherwise it won't work.
>
> Why exactly is PM "not always an option", anyways?  It is possible to
> download+install a package from the command line, and as Jack says,
> the tarballs are easy enough to dink around with if you have to.
>
> -bob

I often use my fast connection at work to download packages to install
on my home system (where I'm lucky if I can get 28.8Kb via dial-in).
While tkinter isn't that large, larger modules are a problem in this
case.

I have another system located where a sneaker-net USB flash drive/CD-R
is a fastest method for file transfer.

Configuring a new system or performing a clean reinstall where it's
easier and faster to first transfer all the installers to a working
directory via flash drive or cross-over cable than installing via modem.

Philosophical: I like to see the source trees of what I'm installing?

Do I need any more reasons?

Tom