[Pythonmac-SIG] Difference between pythonw and python?

Jens Miltner jum at mac.com
Mon Apr 5 04:18:24 EDT 2004

Am 02.04.2004 um 19:47 schrieb Chris Barker:

> Jens Miltner wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, now that I had Tkinter imported properly, I also had
>> to  find that I run into the exact problem you already mentioned,
>> namely  Tkinter installing it's own event loop.
>> Is there any Tk package that won't do this (or launch an external app
>>  to run the UI)?
>> How is this solved on other platforms?
>> Do you know of Tk packages that don't set up a complete event loop,
>> but  use e.g. CarbonEvents to manage their widgets, so that they
>> don't  interfere with a hosting app's event handling?
>
> The easiest answer is "don't do that". In general, you're going ot
> ahve a much easier time in a python embedded project using the same
> GUI toolkit for C++ and python. wxWidgets+wxPython, for example.
>
> Why do you want to use TKinter? why not use the Carbon stuff from
> Python instead? MacCVS is not cross platform anyway. Another option is
> to see if you can use PyObjC and Cocoa, though I don't know how hard
> it is to mix Cocoa and Carbon.

I agree and personally, I have to desire to write code that uses Tk,
but unfortunately, quite a few of the cross-platform macros that are
provided for MacCvs/WinCvs/gCvs are using Tkinter, so I'd like to
support those if possible at all. I'd really hate to have to tell
people: "Well, you can't use those, because we can't get Tkinter to
work properly on Mac OS" (that's what I had to tell people often enough
in the Mac OS 9 days :( )

</jum>