[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing tkinter on Panther w/o PackageMana ger?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Apr 5 18:00:17 EDT 2004

On 5 Apr 2004, at 15:58, Schollnick, Benjamin wrote:
> 	1) If it is already downloaded and in the cache directory, just copy
> 		the file to the new location.
> 	2) If you don't have it in cache, download to cache, and save a copy
> 		in the new location.
>
> 	3) A option to compare a previously saved file to the signature on
> the
> 		PM server.
>
> 	4) A option to force install from a previously installed update
> file, that
> 		is not in the cache directory.  (Copy it to the cache
> directory, and
> 		install from there).

This is almost what is implemented, but the PackageManager GUI misses a
few
bells and whistles to make this useful (notice that it's still
below-1.0:-).

The idea is that you should eventually be able to set both the download
directory and the build directory. This is the bit that is missing,
currently both
are set to "/tmp". But both download and build directories are not
cleaned out  by PackMan, and checksums are checked, etc.

This doesn't need any forcing or whatever: checksums are checked and
that should be good enough. The only thing that is missing is a way to
set
the directories, and some way to clean them out (either ask after
installing,
or a preference to set the amount of MB you're willing to use, or
something
like that).

In the mean time you can find your downloaded installers and
corresponding
build directories in /tmp, until the next time you reboot.
Goldman