[Pythonmac-SIG] Python, Server Solutions MySQL, and MySQLdb

Andrew Morris ajmorris at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 16 07:53:38 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm something of a new python user, and I've been trying to write a
set of cgi scripts to enter data into a database running on my
computer.

Its the MySQL package, as installed by the Server Logistics
prepackaged bundle, with python installed off Fink. The MySQL bundle
installs into /Library/MySQL. The system is Mac OSX 10.2 (Jaguar,
updated to whatever the latest minor update number is)

When i try to install mySQLdb, it throws up an error saying 'ld'
can't find '-lmysqlclient'. I've searched the web, and tried to
interpret the stuff there, which means I've opened up setup.py and
tried to fix the include and lib directories to point to
'/Library/MySQL/include' and '/Library/MySQL/lib/mysql', which is
where the header (.h files are headers right?) files and the .dynlib
files live respectively.

But it still throws up the same error, that it can't find
-lmysqlclient. I've tried to fiddle around with the alias files in
there using the ln command, but I can't seem to get that to work
properly at all (is the link itself in the arguments first or is the
actual file that you're linking to first in the arguments, it doesn't
seem to work properly either way, but that's another thing I cant
figure out).

Any help you could give me would be very useful, otherwise I may have
to junk the project, and use another way of accessing the database.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew