[Pythonmac-SIG] socket.getaddrinfo problems

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Apr 19 16:19:26 EDT 2004

That lookupd manpage sure is interesting, and it really makes you
wonder why some people see these funny timings in Python...

What I'm now wondering is: could it be that somehow Python bypasses
lookupd, maybe because of the way it calls getaddrinfo or something
like that?
And then the next question is: can we come up with an experiment to
test this theory? For instance, if you add a hostname entry to the
NetInfo database, would it show up if getaddrinfo somehow bypasses
lookupd?

I did the experiment myself (but then, I don't have the problem), and I
did notice that items that come from flat files or NetInfo take only
0.001 second on average, while items that come from DNS take about 25
times longer (0.025 seconds +/- 0.005 seconds).
Goldman