[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript and Excel

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Apr 21 15:29:41 EDT 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 19:24, has wrote:
> Sure. But the whole reason I switched to Python and created appscript
> was to get away from AppleScript's numerous design and policy flaws
> in the first place. And I've no intention of bodging things now; I've
> enough to do tightening my code and beating out my own bugs to be
> covering up for other developers' stupidity as well. (Yes, I'm aware
> of the "be liberal in what you accept" argument, but don't believe it
> was ever intended to include covering up for incompetence and
> corruption at your own expense. And if it was then whoever coined it
> was themselves a fool.)
>
> Now I do realise these sorts of problems can reflect badly on
> appscript from the punter's point of view - "It worked on
> AppleScript, so appscript must be broken" - but the solution to that
> is educating users that the fault lies with the application
> developer, and that the proper solution is to file a bug report with
> that developer.

I agree with this in principle, but there's also the "practicality
beats purity"
dictum.

Thinking out loud: isn't what we want some sort of editing instructions
for
the aete, so we could specify something like "When parsing the aete for
Excel if the Set description matches this-and-this condition replace it
with this routine", passing a routine that would issue a warning and
call
the builtin lowercase set.
Goldman