[Pythonmac-SIG] Possible MacPy 2.3.3 bug in re module

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Tue Aug 10 23:49:23 CEST 2004

Hi folks-

With the help of scipy-user folks, I've tracked down the problem with
building scipy to what appears to be a bug in MacPy 2.3.3 (Jaguar),
presumably in the re module.  Here is a text file with a string produced
in the scipy build that, when regex-ed, causes a segfault with MacPy
2.3.3; and a script that does the matching:

http://www.museweb.com/interface.txt
http://www.museweb.com/check_re.py

Running the script with MacPy 2.3.3 on 10.2.8 gives a segfault.  Running
it with /usr/bin/python works fine.  I've also tried it on a Sun machine
with python2.2.2 and a linux machine with 2.3.3 and it works fine on those,
too.  It appears this is a MacPy 2.3.3 bug (presumably in the re module).

I'd appreciate it if a Jaguar 2.3.3 user would download the script and
text and run the script, and let us know if you get a segfault. Perhaps
this is just a problem with my installation.

Thanks,
Tom