[Pythonmac-SIG] Building MacPy 2.3.4 for Jaguar

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Aug 12 20:06:47 CEST 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Tom Loredo wrote:

> Hi Bob-
>
> Thanks a lot for the input into these problems.
>
>> Maybe you have a strange locale set that magically causes the regexp
>> problem?
>
> I haven't done anything special with the locale, though perhaps some
> installed software has.  Is there a way to check?

I don't remember, it's an environment variable.  I doubt other
installed software has affected it without your knowledge.

>> The build problem is due to a missing -framework Python on that g77
>> commandline.  Hopefully that build of g77 support's -framework.
>
> It's the g77 build recommended by the SciPy folks, so I presume it
> should work.  I'll fool a bit with it.
>
>> Perhaps you should just upgrade to Panther like the rest of us have
>> and
>> save yourself some trouble :)
>
> It's very tempting!  But a problem is that I'm developing a package
> for astronomers (with NASA's support) and it really should support
> Jaguar users.

Well, 10.4 is coming out sometime in the next ~4-10 months, and it's
generally ok to support the latest "minus one" release.  That's Apple's
policy, anyway.  It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to support
10.3+.

> If I upgrade to Panther, is there anything special that a Python
> user/developer should do?  I.e., is it okay to "Upgrade" or should
> I "Archive and Install"?

Archive and Install is almost always best, but you should be fine so
long as you uninstall the Jaguar MacPython.  Instructions for that are
linked to somewhere in http://pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ