[Pythonmac-SIG] ipython/tk interactive

James Boyle boyle5 at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 19 19:46:24 CEST 2004

I almost exclusively use ipython in my work. However, I have a problem
using ipython and Tk.
Using pythonw I can use Tk without any problem.

the ipython startup script is at its simplest:

#!/usr/bin/python
# -*- coding: iso-8859-1 -*-
import IPython
IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop()

I can start up using pythonw and perform the actions of the script by
hand and get  an ipython shell that can be used
with Tk.  Just using the ipython script and Tk results in the dreaded
SetFrontProcess failed,-606.

My question is this - is there anyway to modify the ipython script to
enable use of Tk.  I would like to keep my usage of ipython
consistent across platforms.
I have looked at what pythonw does and what the ipython startup does
but so far I have not gotten it to work.
I am on OSX 10.3.5 and use the Apple python + the Mac Addons + Tk from
package manager.

Thanks for any suggestions / help.

Jim