[Pythonmac-SIG] Publicity opportunities

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Aug 19 23:44:36 CEST 2004

steve harley wrote:

>i was thinking along the lines of Apple including appscript (when
>finished, i guess) with the default Mac OS X Python,

Appscript should eventually go into the standard MacPython
distribution, which is what Apple are bundling with the OS these days
(minus schemey apps). But little point in making plans before the
wretched thing is actually done... :)

>  which would make it easier to write a Python/appscript tool that
>would be plug & play for all Mac users.. on the other hand, if
>bundling Python apps becomes easier, maybe it will just be enough to
>build appscript into the bundles

I think the problem is with installing >1 version of MacPython. I'm
assuming Apple put their copy in /System because they want a known
stable version for their own use, but then they don't bother keeping
it up to date which is really slovenly. If the MacPython Branes can
get the multiple installations thing sorted out, I guess this'll
become much less of a problem though.

>>All I want Apple to do is provide decent APIs and a level playing field.
>
>yeah, we would see more efforts like yours if Open Scripting
>Architecture were to live up to its name

<shrug> Third-parties had years to get their stuff together under
MacOSes 7 to 9. Can't blame Apple for not improving an API that
nobody else uses; they've no shortage of higher priorities. I think
we'll be in a much stronger position to lobby for improvements once
we do so.

If you're interested in this stuff, give Philip Aker a shout: he's
working on OSA support for various languages. Not compatible with the
Python licence so won't become the official Python/OSA mechanism
unless he changes that, but a significant effort nonetheless.

Best,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/