[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: [Pythoncard-users] Re: Item missing from PythonCard 0.8 install?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Aug 20 19:06:13 CEST 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Kevin Altis wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "Andy Todd" <andy47 at halfcooked.com>
>> Date: August 20, 2004 9:24:15 AM PDT
>> To: "Kevin Altis" <altis at semi-retired.com>
>> Cc: "pythoncard-Users" <pythoncard-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Pythoncard-users] Re: Item missing from PythonCard 0.8
>> install?
>>
>> Kevin Altis wrote:
>>>
> <snip>
>>> There is one other bit of weirdness on the Mac that I don't really
>>> understand since I don't remember distutils doing this before. It is
>>>  copying all the package files to /Library/Python2.3/PythonCard and
>>> then  creating a build directory with lib/PythonCard and scripts-2.3
>>> dirs  inside that. Does Linux do that too? Perhaps I need to revise
>>> the  commands I run and/or setup.py script, but this is clearly
>>> wrong,  though harmless, except for burning additional disk space.
>>> Did I  mention that distutils is my nemesis? ;-)
>> [snip]
>>
>> Hmm, I think it might just be you Kevin ;-) Downloading the tarball
>> from  SourceForge on my linux machine and running 'python setup.py
>> install' gives me the build directory under
>> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PythonCard
>>
>> But, when I do a fresh check out of the PythonCard module and build
>> my own tarball (using 'python setup.py sdist --formats=gztar') the
>> problem disappears.
>>
>> When I do the same thing on my Mac I see the same problem that you
>> do. Ergo, it's a bug in Python 2.3.0 which was fixed in one of the
>> releases up to 2.3.4 (which I'm running on Linux).
>>
>> Do you want me to build a 0.8 tarball on my machine? Or should we
>> wait until a few more fixes are in and include this in 0.8.1?
> Is there a distutils bug in Python 2.3.0 on Mac OS X (Panther) that
> was fixed in later releases? See the message below. If so, I guess
> I'll have to start building the tar.gz files on a different OS.

It's not clear to me exactly what you are saying.. What is this "build
directory" lib/PythonCard and scripts-2.3?  Could you please show the
full paths on both platforms and explain in more detail why this is
wrong?

It sounds like a bug in the setup.py, not a bug in distutils.  The
equivalent of "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages" is
"/Library/Python/2.3" on the Mac as installed by Apple (this is by way
of symlink down in sys.prefix).