[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Fwd: [Pythoncard-users] Re: Item missing from PythonCard 0.8 install?

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Fri Aug 20 20:24:13 CEST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Kevin Altis wrote:
>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: "Andy Todd" <andy47 at halfcooked.com>
>>> Date: August 20, 2004 9:24:15 AM PDT
>>> To: "Kevin Altis" <altis at semi-retired.com>
>>> Cc: "pythoncard-Users" <pythoncard-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
>>> Subject: Re: [Pythoncard-users] Re: Item missing from PythonCard 0.8
>>> install?
>>>
>>> Kevin Altis wrote:
>>>

>> <snip>

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Hmm, I think it might just be you Kevin ;-) Downloading the tarball
>>> from  SourceForge on my linux machine and running 'python setup.py
>>> install' gives me the build directory under
>>> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PythonCard
>>>
>>> But, when I do a fresh check out of the PythonCard module and build
>>> my own tarball (using 'python setup.py sdist --formats=gztar') the
>>> problem disappears.
>>>
>>> When I do the same thing on my Mac I see the same problem that you
>>> do. Ergo, it's a bug in Python 2.3.0 which was fixed in one of the
>>> releases up to 2.3.4 (which I'm running on Linux).
>>>
>>> Do you want me to build a 0.8 tarball on my machine? Or should we
>>> wait until a few more fixes are in and include this in 0.8.1?
>>
>> Is there a distutils bug in Python 2.3.0 on Mac OS X (Panther) that
>> was fixed in later releases? See the message below. If so, I guess
>> I'll have to start building the tar.gz files on a different OS.
>

> It's not clear to me exactly what you are saying.. What is this "build
> directory" lib/PythonCard and scripts-2.3?  Could you please show the
> full paths on both platforms and explain in more detail why this is wrong?
>
> It sounds like a bug in the setup.py, not a bug in distutils.  The
> equivalent of "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages" is
> "/Library/Python/2.3" on the Mac as installed by Apple (this is by way
> of symlink down in sys.prefix).
>
> -bob

It's not a bug in the setup.py. If we build the package on linux and
then install it on linux or Mac OSX we get our root directory
(PythonCard) with subdirectories components, docs, samples, templates,
tests and tools - as expected. This is under
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages on linux or
/Library/Python/2.3/site-packages on the Mac.

Build the same package on Mac OSX (10.3.4) and when it is installed we
get an additional directory called build under PythonCard. It's not in
the tarball. As far as I know this is a distutils working directory
which should only exist when the package is being built and not when it
is built.

Regards,
Andy