[Pythonmac-SIG] Item missing from PythonCard 0.8 install?

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Fri Aug 20 23:26:42 CEST 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 1:38 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2004, at 4:28 PM, Dethe Elza wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, I always get a ./build directory when I do
>> "python setup.py build" on OS X, with any distutils setup.  Since I
>> rarely use distutils on other platforms, I didn't know this behaviour
>> differed.  I suspect it's still creating the build directory on other
>> systems, but either a) deletes it afterwards, or b) puts it in /tmp
>> or somewhere non-obvious.  But I have no evidence for either handy.
>
> That is expected behavior on all platforms, he is talking about when
> he makes a sdist tarball it includes the build directory.  My feeling
> is that he screwed up MANIFEST.in or setup.py ..

Actually, we were talking about the install and not the sdist. I think
the explanation is that the MANIFEST.in or setup.py is not specifically
excluding build and dist dirs. So, what happens is the very first time
you run

sudo python setup.py install

It works as expected and just creates the build directory where you are
running setup.py, but that doesn't end up in the package dir copied to
site-packages. However, subsequent runs of install, which we were doing
because of testing the install process, end up copying the build dir.
So, initially I was confused because after running sdist I had a build
dir in PythonCard dir that I just ran setup.py sdist, so when I did the
install of course I got a build dir where I didn't expect it. I'm so
used to just running the standalone installer on Windows where this
situation can't occur or doing a fresh install from a new download and
then not repeating the build/install process, that I hadn't come across
this problem before.

ka