[Pythonmac-SIG] StandAlone Python Application Does not Release Python

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Aug 21 23:50:35 CEST 2004

On Aug 21, 2004, at 5:22 PM, eichin at metacarta.com wrote:

>> 2.3 on Panther.  We've run into a problem: when we make a new
>> release, the
>> users find that they cannot copy it over the old release, even after
>> they
>> have quit the application - the Finder reports "The operation cannot
>> be
>> completed because the item 'Python' is in use."
>> This only happens if the old release has been run and then quit.  ...
>
> FYI I've seen Jaeger (cross-platform blogreader, written in python,
> blogmatrix.com) do the exact same thing, so it's not a unique
> problem...

Has anyone using the PyObjC Xcode template seen anything like this?  I
have a strong suspicion that it's related to some combination of an OS
bug and the execve hack that bundlebuilder uses, but since I consider
that method deprecated I have no interest in investigating the issue
unless someone can reproduce it with a proper application stub.