[Pythonmac-SIG] More newbie questions

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Sat Aug 28 23:39:59 CEST 2004

Thanks for the quick response about generating .pyc files. I noticed
that when I do an import, it seems to generate the .pyc file. Simply
running the file via python doesn't produce the .pyc file. Since my
programs are tiny right now anyway, the load speed isn't really an
issue. I'll not worry about this right now as suggested.

This next one is a bit more of an issue, though. How can I get
imports to work from the command line in IDLE or PythonIDE? I can't
seem to figure out any way to set the current working directory.
Trying to put the full path on the command line simply results in an
error. This might be simple, but it is stumping me and the limited
documentation doesn't seem to help. Do I have to set the sys.path to
include my scripts directory (/Users/rodneys/Documents/python)? If
so, how do I go about this?

Hopefully I'll be moving on to some actual interesting programming
questions in the near future.

Thanks,

-Rodney