[Pythonmac-SIG] python with readline support

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sat Aug 28 23:58:55 CEST 2004

I just installed GNU readline 5.0 on my OSX 10.3 powerbook G4.  I
would like to have python with readline support.  I am using the
framework
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python2.3
which reports

  python2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003..)
  [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495] on darwin

My question is: is there an easy way to get readline support in
python.  Normally you have to rebuild it.  Has anyone done this (how
would I rebuild python if using the framework?)  Does someone have a
binary compatible python2.3 with readline support that they could
email me and I could just drop in place of the executable listed
above?

Thanks,
John Hunter