[Pythonmac-SIG] Building 2.4

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Dec 3 10:56:38 CET 2004

On 2-dec-04, at 23:09, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 2-dec-04, at 16:11, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>
>> Patch your config/Makefile of your existing Python 2.3.0 installation
>> (see a recent email of mine on the subject)
>
> Here's an idea: could we somehow incorporate your patch into one of
> the Python Makefiles (Mac/OSX/Makefile comes to mind) and add a test
> for whether it's needed too?
>
> It would be nice if anyone building 2.4 framework Python on an
> unpatched 10.3 would get a warning along the lines of
> WARNING: your Apple-installed Python needs a path to coexist
> peacefully with MacPython 2.4
> WARNING: run "sudo make patchpython2.3" in Mac/OSX to apply the patch.

It would also be possible to monkey-patch the 2.3 install. IIRC I've
posted one way to do a long time ago. That message should be in the
archives.

The advantage would be that you do not have to patch files in /System,
we could even use this to install include files outside of /System
while keeping them functional. The disadvantage is that my approach
seems to induce vomitting in some people ;-)

Ronald