[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app standalone options

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Dec 16 19:49:15 CET 2004

On Dec 16, 2004, at 11:47 AM, has wrote:

> One for Bob really, but I'm trying to figure out how to build a
> non-standalone app using py2app. This was easy (albeit clumsy) with
> bundlebuilder - just set both 'standalone' and 'semi-standalone'
> options to False. I see a 'semi-standalone' option in py2app, but that
> still includes a big wadge of stuff I don't want/need, and I don't see
> any obvious, simple way to tell it not to include ANY external
> dependencies.
>
> Have I've missed something? (The current documentation is minimal, and
> the main docstring in particular appears out of date.) Or is it an
> oversight in the API/UI design, in which case I'd suggest replacing
> the boolean 'semi-standalone' option with a new 'dependencies' option
> that takes one of three values: 'all', 'semi', or 'none'.

(py2app)
   --semi-standalone (-s)  depend on an existing installation of Python
2.3
                           (FORCED: Using vendor Python)

(bundlebuilder)
       --semi-standalone  build a standalone application, which depends
on
                          an installed Python, yet includes all
third-party
                          modules.

--semi-standalone means do not include a Python interpreter or anything
from its standard library, and it means the same thing as it did in
bundlebuilder.  It still does the dependency scan for third party
python code and dependent libraries/frameworks.  If you want to depend
on third party stuff in site-packages, too bad, you'll have to exclude
them all individually and use --site-packages.

The way to tell it to include nothing is to build an alias bundle (-A),
which is for development only and doesn't create something suitable for
redistribution.