[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app standalone options

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Dec 17 00:29:36 CET 2004

On Dec 16, 2004, at 6:00 PM, has wrote:

>>> How rare?
>>
>> Rare enough that I can't justify writing the code and adding yet
>> another option.
>>
>>  If you don't need a redistributable application, then use an alias
>> bundle.  If you want a redistributable application, then include the
>> dependencies.
>
> If you were writing py2app simply to please yourself I wouldn't bother
> raising the issue, but since you intend it to replace BundleBuilder in
> the standard distribution I can't really see "I don't care about your
> use case" being sufficient justification for such a design decision.
> You've just spent weeks, if not months, designing and constructing
> py2app - a not insignificant piece of software engineering. I'd be
> rather surprised if it'd take you more than a few minutes to insert an
> option that bypasses the modulegraph component at the point where it
> connects to the rest of py2app, assuming a properly-factored,
> maintainable design.
>
> As to what I want: I would like a really quick, easy way to churn out
> lightweight distributable applets that don't lug around stuff they
> don't need to. BundleBuilder has no problem doing this; heck, even a
> crap language like AppleScript can do it. Is it really py2app's place
> to dictate to users how they should or shouldn't build THEIR apps?
> Personally, if I want py2app to resolve and include my applications'
> dependencies, I shall be only too happy to ask it to do so. But if I
> don't, I'd appreciate it minding its own business respecting that
> choice. (And no, forcing me to manually resolve and manually exclude
> all my applications' dependencies for it doesn't count.)

Adding this option causes more problems than it solves.  I don't think
it's a good idea and I don't want to support that usage, especially not
at this time.  py2exe does not implement this option either.  I'm not
going to implement this in py2app any time soon.  Feel free to do it
yourself, either by subclassing py2app (then using the cmdclass
argument to setup(...)), or by writing a patch against py2app that
makes this option available.

> On a separate issue, I've noticed the semi-standalone option appears
> to be buggy in 0.1.6. When I set it to true, py2app correctly omits
> standard modules and extensions from Resources/Python, but is still
> including the core Python.framework. I'm running MacPython 2.3.3 under
> OS 10.2.8. If you want the build logs and/or finished application
> bundles, let me know and I'll email them over.

I'm pretty sure I know why this is, I'll fix it before next release.