[Pythonmac-SIG] Where to put data

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Dec 21 16:23:02 CET 2004

(I also posted this to wxusers because it's sort of cross-platform --
sorry if you're seeing it again.)

With an earlier app I wanted an external data file and everybody told
me to make it internal to the program (the app's Resources, I guess)
instead. I couldn't, then. Now with a new app I want to do just that,
but I'm not sure *how* to do it!

It's a file of data -- a Python dictionary object, after it's loaded
into memory -- which will grow and change as the app is used; when the
app terminates the data ought to be saved  with it for next time. In
this case I don't want users fiddling with it apart from the app.

What is the right way to do this? (What's the easy way?) Is there a
simple method that will work for both Mac and Windows (and Linux)?

Charles Hartman
http://cherry.conncoll.edu/cohar
http://villex.blogspot.com