[Pythonmac-SIG] configure failing with Python 2.4

Kevin Dangoor kid at kendermedia.com
Thu Dec 23 17:30:09 CET 2004

I actually just installed Xcode this morning. I do have Fink installed,
but removed it from my path when I moved my bashrc and profile aside. I
also had confirmed that gcc is in /usr/bin.

 > gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)

That's what struck me as odd here... there's nothing very out of the
ordinary that I'm aware of.

As I thought about it some more, I may just use my existing python 2.3
until there's an official MacPython 2.4 release.

Kevin

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Reinstall Xcode and/or make sure you aren't using Fink or something
> which may have installed an alternate compiler (make sure "which cc"
> and "which gcc" point to /usr/bin).
>
> On Dec 23, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>
>> Err, while this might be enough info for someone to go on, I just
>> realized that there's not much there...
>>
>> I'm running Mac OS 10.3.6. I have XCode/Developer Tools installed,
>> though that didn't seem to make any difference. I even tried moving
>> my .bashrc and .profile files out of the way to be sure that those
>> weren't causing any grief.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking that I must be doing something simple wrong...
>>> hopefully that's the case.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the Python 2.4 source and tried to run a basic
>>> ./configure to see what I get. What I got was this error:
>>>
>>> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
>>> error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
>>>
>>> which appears to be caused by
>>>
>>> configure:1772: c++    conftest.cc  >&5
>>> ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
>>>
>>> While I'm sure I can track that down, I figured that I must be doing
>>> something silly. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kevin