[Pythonmac-SIG] Read Strings from Resources

Larry Bugbee bugbee at seanet.com
Thu Dec 23 18:36:35 CET 2004

For the useless? trivia department...

>>> So it looks like a 2-byte count followed by an array of Pascal
>>> strings.
>>
>> Ah yes. And now that I see this I seem to remember that the pstrings
>> are padded to a 2-byte boundary.
>
> Hmmm, I'd be a bit surprised if there was such alignment padding.
> Pascal string lengths are one byte, so after the single integer
> listed above everything else should just be byte-aligned.

Most Pascals including UCSD Pascal had a single byte string length
limiting strings to a maximum of 255.  A real pain.

The "old" 8 and 16-bit processors saved cycles fetching things from
memory if aligned to "word" boundaries.  In those days a word was
typically 16 bits.

Then came 32 and now 64.  Tomorrow infinity?  Actually some of the
earliest machines like the IBM 1620 had variable word lengths.

FWIW....

Larry