[Pythonmac-SIG] The versioning question...

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 27 19:27:58 CET 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> That doesn't fix the multiple versions problem.

This is a big issue that the core Pythonistas don't seem to be
interested in addressing. It's odd, because I think it's a no-brainer
that python modules need to be versioned, and there needs to be a way to
have multiple versions co-existing and user (that is code) selectable.
They are just like dynamic libraries in this regard. I think that's one
reason Py2App and the like are so necessary now, it's the equivalent of
statically linking an app.

Particularly if Bob's idea of including PyObjC with MacPython gets
implemented, it would be great to have a versioning system in place for
it, so people could count on it being there, and not breaking apps that
use when a new version comes out.

Robin has added versioning to the latest wxPython, and I. for one am
ecstatic. It works great for me. I am generally using 2.5.3, but have
2.4.2 installed, and a number of my apps depend  on it (on Linux anyway,
  it's pretty useless on OS-X)

It's great to be able to put:

import wxversion
wxversion.select("2.4")

At the top of my apps, and know that they'll use the version of wxPython
I tested against.

Anyway, just a rant, but I do think something like this should be done
for any major packages that come with MacPython, like PyObjC.

It would be even better if there were a standard, Python-wide approach,
but my read of comp.lang.python tells me it ain't gonna happen.

Let's keep in mind how annoyed we all are that Apple supplied a python
that makes it difficult to install a newer python without breaking
things. Why should we not have the same standard for packages?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov