[Pythonmac-SIG] How badly is _locale broken?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Dec 29 11:23:04 CET 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 4:50 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 28-dec-04, at 23:11, Brett C. wrote:
>
>> I am planning to attempt to fix the _locale module (which 'locale'
>> itself imports and uses) for OS X.  As of this exact moment I am
>> planning just fixing localeconv (thanks to CFNumberFormatter and
>> setlocale still at least storing the supposed locale, even if it does
>> ignore it), but I realized other stuff might be broken.
>>
>> Since I never personally use the module, does anyone know the extent
>> of the breakage?  Obviously I would rather just have to fix
>> localeconv and keep my life simple, but if it is more extensive I can
>> see what I can do.
>
> Not linking with the CoreServices and Foundation frameworks would do
> the trick. That might cause problems elsewhere though :-(.

I think someone said this is fixed on 10.4, so you can just wait a
while and it'll probably fix itself using the generic unix code.

Yes, not linking to CoreFoundation will cause problems, because
*something* will inevitably link to CF.  For example, the py2app
bootstrap will link to CF.  A bunch of the extension modules in
MacPython also independently link to CF-using frameworks.