[Pythonmac-SIG] Py2App 0.1.7

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 31 01:31:29 CET 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> My first question was:
>> "where the heck is /purelib ?"
>
> That's an artifact of how the distutils install command compiles .py
> files under bdist_mpkg, eventually I'll fix that.

Thanks. It made the error confusing enough that it took me a while to
figure out what was going on.

>> So, am I right that those older versions of altgraph and macholib were
>> installed by an older Py2app?
>
> Yes, probably 0.1.5.  It has been in the py2app directory since 0.1.6.

makes sense. I had 0.1.4 or something in my download directory.

>> If so, some sort of waring should be put in about that.

that is, "warning".

> py2app is not a package, it's just a directory pointed to by a pth.

but couldn't be? I why isn't it in site-packages anyway? Though I
imagine you have a good reason, I'd like to know what it is. The whole
pth thing seems kind of clunky to me.

> The packages altgraph (my fork of "graphlib"), modulegraph, bdist_mpkg,
> macholib, and py2app are all exclusively maintained by me, and are only
> released as part of py2app.

So putting them in the py2app dir, where you have them now, makes sense.

> You don't need them for "something else", especially an older version.

When this problem arose, I just did a quick google search for altgraph,
and it looked like a generally useful package, so It wasn't clear that
it is used exclusively for py2app.

Oh well, I've got it all working now, very well, as a matter of fact.

Now I just need to figure out how to give my app an icon.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov